New year, new goals? Does it include a new ticketing and tracking system like JIRA? Have no fear, JIRA is here!
If you are being asked to scope out a new software to handle your company's business needs and need to quickly do a proof of concept, please keep reading! You can use your Macbook to install JIRA for a quick evaluation! Atlassian's JIRA works well for your company's IT department, project management team, and help desk. For starters, you'll want an Atlassian account to retrieve your licenses. This is quite easy, navigate here - https://my.atlassian.com/.
This quick tutorial shows users how to install JIRA on their own personal machine. This is not enterprise production worthy by any means!Simply install and boot it up!
1. Install JIRA
- unpack the .tar file into a new directory, Atlassian. A standalone file is created for you automatically: /Users/mcarter/Desktop/Projects/Atlassian
- create a jira_home directory: /Users/mcarter/Desktop/Projects/Atlassian/jira_home
- edit jira-application.properties file (/Users/mcarter/Desktop/Projects/Atlassian/atlassian-jira-6.2.7-standalone/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes) and point to jira_home directory: jira.home = /Users/mcarter/Desktop/Projects/Atlassian/jira_home
2. Install JAVA
- download 1.7 version, http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp, it is the latest compatible version
- unpack the .tar file into a new directory, JAVA: /Users/mcarter/Desktop/Projects/JAVA
- edit permgen.sh file (/Users/mcarter/Desktop/Projects/Atlassian/atlassian-jira-6.2.7-standalone/bin) and point to the JAVA home directory: export JAVA_HOME=/Users/mcarter/Desktop/Projects/JAVA/jre1.7.0_55.jre/Contents/Home
3. Type in localhost:8080 into your web browser and have fun with your new instance of JIRA!Follow me on LinkedIn and Twitter! @halle_mary88 https://www.linkedin.com/in/maryecarter